Asbestos removal in a Residential Tower Block: The asbestos removal at Gloucester House was straightforward but plentiful.
The 17 storey residential tower block was built in the 1960’s and as with most buildings of this era contained an abundance of asbestos. In layman’s terms, different types of asbestos were used within different elements of the build.
To put the vastness of the asbestos removal into perspective, each floor consisted of 10 flats (4 x 2 bedroom, 4 x 1 bedroom, 2 x studio flats) and different types of asbestos were in-situ throughout each one;
As an example, a typical floor would contain the following notifiable asbestos:
- Asbestos Insulation Board ceiling panels to corridors and external balconies
- Asbestos Insulation Board wall panels, panels above and below windows to balconies
- Asbestos Insulation Board wall linings and headers to kitchen cupboards
- Asbestos Insulation Board boxing within toilet hallways and bedrooms
- Asbestos Insulation Board header panels within all flats
The structure also contained non-notifiable asbestos throughout such as:
- Asbestos vinyl floor tiles within all flats.
- Asbestos toilet cisterns within various flats
Working in conjunction with and as a prelude to sister company DDS Demolition, with such extensive asbestos removal in a residential tower block such as Gloucester House, we acknowledged the need to appoint extensive and experienced operative teams to work across multiple floors.
Due to the vast majority of waste being produced at regular intervals throughout the day, strategic use of the two lift shafts were used with regular air monitoring for the safe lowering of waste from high levels to basement areas.
Due to the varied locations on site where removal took place and the amount of enclosures being live at the same time, it was not possible to connect the decontamination unit directly to enclosures therefore full transit procedures were adopted.
- Brief the site teams via inductions
- Establish welfare and bunkerbins
- Take delivery of consumables and asbestos plant
- Install electrical supply from ground floor to roof
- Service and reinstate 2 no working lifts
- Begin Enclosure constructions on the 17th floor
- Work downwards from the 17th floor
- Methodical asbestos removal
- Successful and safe removal of all identified notifiable and non-notifiable asbestos.
- Efficient, timely and logical removal of unforeseen, previously unidentified asbestos.
- Despite the additional identification of asbestos, the programme for removal did not affect DDS Demolition.
- Effective and beneficial interface with DDS Demolition.
- Contract executed safely, on time and on budget